Thursday, June 19, 2014

Hey, movie fans ... it’s Rock Hudson night on TCM!

It’s 5:45 p.m. on a hot and breezy Thursday here at Howdygram headquarters, and I’ve got some fascinating medical news from our Adventures in Diabetes department. MY HEELS HURT REALLY, REALLY BAD. This is plantar fasciitis again, an excruciatingly painful condition that’s triggered by (for me, anyway) diabetic peripheral neuropathy and makes you feel like you’re standing or walking on broken glass. It gets so bad I have to check the sole of my foot sometimes to prove to myself that I’m not BLEEDING TO DEATH. (I apologize if this is too much information. Deal with it, okay?) However, I just read several reports about this condition online and it’s possible I might ALSO be suffering from something called tarsal tunnel syndrome, which is: “posterior tibial neuralgia, a compression neuropathy and painful foot condition where the tibial nerve is compressed or crushed as it travels through the tarsal tunnel.” Symptoms are similar to plantar fasciitis with the added joy of “numbness in the foot radiating to the first four toes, severe pain, burning, electrical shock sensations, cramping and tingling over the base of the foot and the heel, making it difficult to stand or walk.” I have all of the above. KILL ME NOW.

For those of you who like to collect graphic visual aids I am pleased to supply the following full-color foot diagram. Thank you.


Hey, movie fans ... IT’S ROCK HUDSON NIGHT on TCM tonight featuring a bunch of his best screwball comedies. My three all-time favorites begin at 11 p.m. (Central) and include: Send Me No Flowers (1964) with Doris Day and Tony Randall; Come September (1961) with Gina Lollobrigida and Walter Slezak; and Man’s Favorite Sport (1964) with Paula Prentiss. The Howdygram highly recommends ALL of these, so why don’t you go right now and program your DVR while I wait.
For the record, I think Walter Slezak absolutely steals the show as the conniving butler in Come September, and the funniest scene in Man’s Favorite Sport is a direct (but very well-done) ripoff of Libeled Lady (1936) where William Powell pretends to be an expert trout fisherman. Please watch and don’t forget the popcorn.

In case you give a crap I’m planning a feast tonight for dinner featuring Oscar Mayer pickle & pimiento loaf sandwiches on teeny low-carb hamburger buns, and if I’m still hungry afterwards I might nuke a pile of Costco bacon because bacon goes with EVERYTHING.
I have to eat now. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: