Tuesday, October 9, 2018

I’m still waiting for my Hoyer Lift and my progressive trifocals from EyeBuyDirect.com.

A quiet, pleasant Monday evening to you from north Texas! We’ve got fairly heavy rain passing through here right now … a comforting sound that apparently isn’t interrupting Sam’s serious nap on the sofa. It’s not interrupting me, either, as as matter of fact. I was enjoying a cute Joan Crawford movie — I Live My Life (1935) with Brian Aherne, the one where he’s an archaeologist on a Greek island — but I decided to turn it off altogether and work on this Howdygram post instead. I guess it’s time to get back on schedule now that my weekend visitors are gone!

Brian Aherne and Joan Crawford in “I Live My Life.”

In case you’re wondering … Bobby and Robin are back in Chicago now after saying our goodbyes this afternoon before they left for the airport. These are two of the most beloved people in the world to me, and their visit was a shot of happiness after several consecutive weeks of sad and steady “declines” in my life. I already miss both of them. Do you think it’s too soon to ask them to come back?



A couple of hours after Bobby and Robin said goodbye — and I’d finally nodded off for a desperately-needed nap — my hospice R.N., Stella, stopped by for my weekly vital signs checkup (blood pressure, 102/56; heart rate, 72) and MY MONTHLY CATHETER CHANGE. Yes … another catheter change! It was quick enough, thank God, but decidedly uncomfortable. At least I won’t have to think about this again until November, though. I guess it’s a small consolation!

It’s presently Tuesday morning, 4:30 a.m., and MY OTHER COMPLAINTS at the moment include: 1) excruciating PAIN IN BOTH KNEES; 2) excruciating pain in THE ARCHES OF BOTH FEET; 3) ”CREEPING CRUD” AND BLEEDING PRESSURE SORES on the back of both thighs; 4) SEVERE MUSCLE PAIN in my ribs, upper arms, thighs, hips, calves and shins … all leftover from last Wednesday’s shit-show with the Mesquite paramedics; and 5) I can’t think of anything else. Fortunately, I’m able to blot out nearly 85% of #1, #2 and #3 with an intensely-pleasing combo of extended-release Morphine, liquid Morphine and a pair of 10mg Hydrocodone tablets … and that’s a good thing because I’ll have to use a commode substitute* today and need some agility to make it happen.

*A BEDPAN. Oy.



I’m pleased to report that Sam and I have had a wonderful, restful Tuesday so far. Lots of heavy fall rain and overcast skies, a couple of juicy Amazon deliveries, incoming prescription drugs, several tropical Popsicles, two episodes of “The People’s Court” and a partridge in a pear tree. (Okay, just kidding.) We also saw a few terrific movies, including: April Showers (1948) starring Jack Carson and Ann Sothern; The Dancing Co-ed (1939) starring sparkly little Lana Turner in her first big role; Executive Suite (1954) starring William Holden and Barbara Stanwyck; and Flying Down to Rio (1933) starring Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Gene Raymond and Dolores del Rio.

Fred and Ginger light up the screen in “Flying Down to Rio.”
Ann Sothern, Robert Ellis and Jack Carson in “April Showers.”



Please allow me to offer information on three special orders that I’m still waiting for. First, because I can’t walk any more or even stand on my feet, my hospice administrator ordered a hydraulic HOYER LIFT for me at no cost whatsoever so Sam can twirl me around the room in a sling and move my nice ass from one location to the other without breaking his back. Second, I’m also waiting for my new PROGRESSIVE TRIFOCALS from EyeBuyDirect, the first prescription eyeglasses I’ve ever ordered online. These were a huge deal, people. Only $108 … including trendy matte black frames, non-glare coating and scratch-resistent lenses. Woo-hoo! I ordered my eyeglasses on October 2 and expect them just about any day now. And third, I ordered a set of BUSINESS CARDS from Zazzle so I can direct literate individuals with fine taste to the Howdygram and The Howdygram Store. A sample business card appears below for your possible interest. (The reverse side promotes the store.) My business cards will be here tomorrow.




This seems like an awfully fine time to shut down my Tuesday night post, shoot my bedtime insulin and grab a few hours of sleep. Thank you for reading this! If you feel compelled to consider the Alamo, I suppose there’s not much I can do to change your mind. Do whatever the hell you want, okay?

No comments: