Sunday, October 18, 2015

“Storm in a Teacup” is on TCM this week. Bring over a box of Lorna Doones and let’s watch together, okay?

Good morning, happy Sunday and shalom from Texas, y’all. I’ll begin this post the same way I begin many of them: WITH A GODDAMN PAIN REPORT. Here for your possible interest is my latest Shit-O-Meter reading.
A level 9 is not good in any way whatsoever so I will attempt to focus instead on the job at hand ... writing a Howdygram post, popping my pain meds and rehydrating a fancy-schmancy breakfast. Today’s entree is a bag of Mountain House freeze-dried Scrambled Eggs with Ham and Peppers for senior citizens, which I’ll review for you forthwith. (Thank you.)



As promised, dear readers, here is my review of Mountain House’s freeze-dried Scrambled Eggs with Ham & Peppers, which you rehydrate in its own pouch with boiling water. However, as a general rule of thumb you should always use ¼-cup less water than they recommend in the directions. (Trust me on this.)

The Scrambled Eggs with Ham & Peppers is a tasty, healthy little entree that earns our four-chopper rating. The eggs are more like a fluffy cut-up omelet and they’re loaded with diced ham and peppers. This is an excellent low-carb breakfast for me and I plan to keep a few pouches here in the study for those times when Sam isn’t around to nuke a corn dog for me. In case you’re wondering, the only reason I didn’t rate this with five choppers is because I was still hungry afterwards. I wish Mountain House could figure out how to throw in two slices of freeze-dried buttered rye toast.


There’s a terrific week coming up on TCM with lots of my favorite movies, and I’ll list them for you here in case you feel like recording a few. (This would be an excellent time to load up on Pop Secret.)

OCTOBER 19
     Jezebel (1938) starring Bette Davis and Henry Fonda
     Around the World in 80 Days (1956) starring David Niven
OCTOBER 20
     A League of Their Own (1992) starring Tom Hanks and Geena Davis
OCTOBER 21
     The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) starring Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland
     All the President’s Men (1976) starring Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman
OCTOBER 22
     Storm in a Teacup (1937) starring Rex Harrison and Vivien Leigh
     Brigadoon (1954) starring Gene Kelly and Van Johnson
OCTOBER 23
     Easy to Love (1934) starring Adolphe Menjou and Mary Astor
     Snowed Under (1936) starring George Brent and Genevieve Tobin
OCTOBER 24
     I Remember Mama (1948) starring Irene Dunne and Barbara Bel Geddes

If you’ve never seen Storm in a Teacup, please make an effort to record this little gem. It’s a terrific sarcastic political comedy set in Scotland. Rex Harrison is a progressive newspaper reporter who’s battling the town’s provost, a self-absorbed bully played by Cecil Parker, while he courts the provost’s daughter, Vivien Leigh. Others in the cast include Ursula Jeans as the provost’s mistress, Sara Allgood as a feisty local widow the provost is trying to shove around, and a bunch of really adorable dogs. I absolutely LOVE movies set in Scotland. I can’t help it. Bring over a box of Lorna Doones and let’s watch together, okay?
One other note: Brigadoon is worth watching for the music and for a big dance number with Gene Kelly, Van Johnson and a bunch of energetic dudes in kilts.

Thank you and have a nice life.

No comments: