Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Nobody dances like Gene Kelly except Fred Astaire. Also Donald O’Connor maybe.

It’s 7:52 a.m. on a sunny, muggy Tuesday morning in north Texas, and here’s what’s happening today at Howdygram headquarters!

THE INVASION OF THE GLASS PEOPLE. Tim, leader of the glass people, will be here shortly to finish the grout people’s botched remodeling job in our master bathroom shower. This has been a work-in-progress since the first week of March and we’re pretty damn sick of it already.

TEEFS. Sam has an appointment at 10 with an endodontist to redo an infected root canal. The procedure is supposed to take about 90 minutes and involves pouring brightly-colored caulk into the nerve canals. (It’s possible that I misunderstood this.) In case you’re interested the following map indicates: A) Howdygram headquarters; B) Sam’s dentist; and C) China City restaurant in Garland. (I love their Mongolian chicken.)
AN OBSESSION WITH BAKER’S RACKS. For the last couple of weeks I’ve been shopping online for a black metal baker’s rack for the kitchen. I’ve got shopping carts stuffed with baker’s racks on half a dozen different websites — Amazon, Wal-Mart, Wayfair, Hayneedle, Target and Overstock.com — but I haven’t moved forward with an actual purchase because I’m waiting to tell Sam until I decide for sure which one I like best (at the moment I’m partial to the one with baskets) and exactly how I plan to rearrange the kitchen to make room for the damn thing. Here are a few of the top contenders so far. (I’d ask which one you like best, but let’s be honest ... it really doesn’t matter.)
JUDY GARLAND MUSICALS. I’m recording two on TCM this morning: In the Good Old Summertime (1949) with Van Johnson and Summer Stock (1950) with Gene Kelly. I think Summer Stock is my favorite of the two because nobody dances like Gene Kelly except Fred Astaire. Also Donald O’Connor maybe. (Never mind.) Here’s a nice number from Summer Stock to entertain you for two minutes and 52 seconds.


Thank you for reading this.

No comments: