Saturday, March 14, 2020

Sam is the undisputed king of organization around here.

Happy Thursday night, boys and girls, and welcome to the Howdygram … your lighthearted alternative to COVID-19 and empty shelves at the local Wal-Mart.

For the record, please note that hoarding and “over-buying” are being discouraged online, but you can still get what you want if you act fast and don’t get greedy about it. I just ordered* two mega-packs of Charmin, two packages of Sparkle paper towels, a package of Vanity Fair paper napkins and some butt wipes. (Wal-Mart wouldn’t let me order more than two of anything.) Fortunately, at Howdygram headquarters there’s only one of us — i.e., Sam — using paper products now because I’m bedridden, so we really don’t need a huge stockpile of anything around here except Progresso soup, Greek olives, Equal and diet root beer.

What do YOU want to hoard? (Asking for a friend.)

When Sam went to Wal-Mart this morning to pick up our order he was told they “never received” it … even though I had an email confirmation from last night when I placed the order online! I figured we were totally out of luck … until I did a little research a few minutes ago. Know what? Our order pickup is actually for Saturday, not today. Yay!



Ever wonder what a restless invalid such as yours truly does in her spare time … when she’s not eating, sleeping, pooping or watching Myrna Loy movies? In a word, STUPID BALONEY. (Okay, that’s two words. Get over it.) Specifically, this morning at 3 a.m. I decided to change the Howdygram’s color palette because I was bored. I swapped aqua for a happy, snazzy bright blue. This involved modifying the colors in the banner, updating lines and lines of HTML code on Blogger.com, and changing nearly all the graphics in the right sidebar. As the hours wore on, however, that snazzy bright blue started to look purple and eventually gave me a fucking headache.
So I changed all the colors back to where I started from and decided I’ll never let myself get bored with the Howdygram ever again.

However I did make two changes that survived.

Red used to be the Howdygram’s link color. Now it’s our hover color, also the post headline color, links are the same color as the text … and they’re UNDERSCORED! Woo-hoo!





Please permit me to introduce today’s herd of free fonts … a lovely collection of scripts (“Sinthiya,” “Breakfast,”  “California”), display fonts (“Zoocute,” “Fondacy,” “The NightMare,” “Enjoys Easter”), hand-drawn fonts (“Walpurga”) and even a versatile layered font (“Fright Night”) with lots of styles and options. Today I’m rather excited about ALL of these fonts — especially “The NightMare” and “Walpurga” — and I’ll have a chance to try them out over the weekend when I get back to working on new greeting card designs for The Howdygram Store.




It’s 3:30 Friday afternoon now, and I’m waiting for my hospice medical team. My C.N.A. (her name is “Q”) will be here around 5 p.m. for my bath and hygiene session, and my L.V.N. (Sharon) will show up half an hour later for a routine weekly checkup. I love both of them, so this is a pleasant way to end another week. Afterwards I’ll watch today’s episode of “The People’s Court” (one of my guilty pleasures) and ask Sam to make a package of Knorr’s Butter & Herb Noodles for my dinner tonight. (I’ve been craving pasta all week.) And as long as I’m thinking about food, it’s time for another senior citizen food review …



Today I’m fucking thrilled to review an exciting new product that’s already out of stock on the company’s website: THRIVE LIFE’S FREEZE-DRIED SEASONED GRILLED CHICKEN. Our first can arrived yesterday and Sam rehydrated a few slices for a taste-test. Know what? THIS STUFF IS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. Here’s what I loved about it: 1) the flavor; 2) the texture; 3) this is l00% white meat; 4) it only takes four minutes to rehydrate in a little hot water; 5) you can use this chicken in recipes, toss it into soup, add it to a chef’s salad or rehydrate some and just enjoy it as-is; 6) you get real grilled chicken without using the grill and without dealing with raw poultry; 7) the slices are substantial and quite attractive; and 8) isn’t that enough?


As a bedridden coot with a husband who doesn’t cook — except for an annual omelet — products like this are absolutely essential for me, because I’ve been missing simple entrées like a grilled chicken breast or a something with ordinary ground beef like Sloppy Joes, spaghetti sauce, Hamburger Helper and so on. In case you give a crap, I’m still expecting a delivery of Thrive Life’s Freeze-Dried Ground Beef, Freeze-Dried Crumbled Breakfast Sausage, instant Freeze-Dried Refried Beans and Freeze-Dried Cut Green Beans. (Giant cans. They’re on the way.) In the meantime, of course, I’m happy to award THRIVE LIFE’S FREEZE-DRIED SEASONED GRILLED CHICKEN with our coveted five-chopper rating!



Incidentally, the Wal-Mart pickup that I mentioned at the top of this post turned out to be a big “nothingburger” this morning. Everything on my list was out of stock except for: 1) a box of 250 store brand artifical sweetener packets; and 2) two bags of frozen Green Giant Backyard Grilled Potatoes. Therefore I just spent half an hour searching around on Amazon and discovered they don’t have any paper goods, either, except for two large packages of nice, folded paper guest towels/napkins that were semi-affordably priced at 300 for $9.99 … so I ordered them.

In other news, I thought I’d share the following photo of Sam’s high-class handiwork. He’s the undisputed king of organization! (What he did to the walk-in closet in our master bedroom was genius.) Our pantry is actually larger than it looks in this photo, however, because there’s something about the iPhone’s “panoramic” setting that compresses the overall depth of the image. The point is … although we’ve stockpiled a lot of food lately, there’s still room for MORE!




I’d like to share tonight’s dinner menu if you can spare a few more minutes. I have unusual cravings from time to time, and tonight certainly was a classic example. I asked Sam for a jar of whole organic mushrooms, a bowl of pitted Greek olives and a bag of Green Giant’s Steamfresh Backyard Grilled Potatoes. With pleasant little plastic forks. And for dessert I had three Otter Pops and a tiny little pineapple pie (an individual portion) from Wal-Mart. I’m stuffed at the moment, but I know I’ll probably request more Greek olives for a bedtime snack. My new motto is: There’s always room for Greek olives!


I’ll be sharing my novel demented meals with you from time to time, because inquiring minds want to know. (I think.)



Thank you for reading this. Sam and I are going to watch All the President’s Men (1976) now. In the meantime, the Alamo says “yo.”

No comments: