Thursday, December 18, 2014

I’m having severe side effects and didn’t even know it.

It’s an altogether rotten Thursday morning here in north Texas, about 44° with drizzle, low clouds and fog. Right off the bat I think you should know that I REFUSE TO LEAVE THE HOUSE TODAY, although that’s a rather pointless declaration since I never leave the house, anyway. It’s presently 9:30 a.m. and Sam is at the dentist getting his teeth cleaned. (All of them.) For your possible interest the following map indicates: A) Howdygram headquarters; B) the dentist’s office; and C) McDonald’s at Belt Line on the I-30 service road where Sam buys my Saturday morning Sausage McMuffin.


I’ve decided to dump one of my medications due to just figuring out that I’ve got several severe side effects and didn’t even know it. The drug is Amitriptyline, an antidepressant that’s also prescribed, as in my case, at a lower dose for chronic pain and sleeplessness. And I remember feeling better (and sleeping better) when I first started taking it three years ago. Now, not so much. So I decided to visit WebMD.com and read up on the side effects.

Holy crap, people ... I’ve got four, and they’re all considered serious: ABNORMAL HEART RHYTHM, SHORTNESS OF BREATH, TASTE DISORDER and LOW BODY TEMPERATURE. Those of you who read the Howdygram regularly know that I always whine about this crap, especially the taste disorder and low body temperature.

Therefore I plan to discontinue Amitriptyline today and tell Dr. M about it at my next appointment, which will be soon. You may remember a few months ago during my last quarterly checkup when she had me see a cardiologist to diagnose a very abnormal heart rhythm that she’d just discovered. Dr. Singh immediately wanted to load me up with a pile of bullshit diagnostics, including an echocardiogram and a totally miserable two-day chemical stress test. I blew him off at the time, and I’m glad now that I did. I don’t need cardiograms and stress tests: I NEED TO STOP TAKING AMITRIPTYLINE.

Thank you for putting up with me.

No comments: