Saturday, May 11, 2019

I started coughing up blood today.

It’s 7:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, and this is already a day of FAVORITES … starting with my favorite weekend beverage (iced tea), my favorite visitors (none), my favorite breakfast (a toasted English muffin with butter and cheese), my favorite weather (thunderstorms), my favorite husband (Sam) and my favorite blog (the Howdygram), which are listed here in no particular order whatsoever.

However it’s important to note that Sam is my one and only husband at the present time and the Howdygram is my only blog. Also, my occasionally favorite other breakfasts are leftover cold pizza or pancakes and sausage on-a-stick (they look like corn dogs!) with sugar-free syrup. Thank you.



Today is Mesquite’s semi-annual document shredding/electronics recycling day, and a temporary hoo-hah center has been set up at 3300 Poteet Drive, which is the parking lot in front of Poteet High School. As I write this post Sam is using the opportunity to junk our old Epson inkjet printer and shred his tax returns dating back to 1977. Isn’t life wonderful?


I started coughing up blood today.

I shared the news with Sam when it happened a couple of hours ago, and he confirmed that coughing up blood is a sign of end-stage congestive heart failure. A few days ago he began reading about congestive heart failure online when my relentless cough made him curious. He kept asking if I could try to cough something up, but I’ve never in my entire life been able to do that, not even when I was in high school and hospitalized with pneumonia and the entire nursing staff at Skokie Valley Community Hospital stood in my room and begged.

Today, however, nobody had to beg, because it just came up all by itself. It was huge, and it was bloody. Just like what’s in my tissue when I blow my nose. Blood.

I’m nauseous right now and depressed that I have to write about this. Maybe tomorrow will be better, but I can’t make any promises.



I want to design a couple of greeting cards for The Howdygram Store. Thank you for reading this, and thank you for trying to remember the Alamo.

No comments: