Monday, May 27, 2019

Celebrating Memorial Day with “From Here to Eternity” and a pile of Chinese food.

Happy Memorial Day! While America honors its fallen soldiers, I’m lying in bed watching From Here to Eternity (1953) starring Montgomery Clift, Frank Sinatra and Burt Lancaster while waiting for a delivery from China City. Specifically, Tofu Tempura and Scallop Egg Foo Young. (Oy. I’m starving.) Because everybody wants Chinese food on Memorial Day, right?
By the way, I’m commemorating something else today, too. It’s been exactly FIFTY YEARS since I graduated from Niles North High School in Skokie, Illinois. Fifty fucking years! Naturally, as a bedridden senior citizen it will be impossible to attend my 50th reunion in September, but nevertheless I’ve been having fun reminiscing with old friends on Facebook about life in Skokie in the 1960s. A sample memory* appears below for your possible interest.

Starting with my freshman year, at least once or twice a week I’d gallop across the street to Old Orchard Mall after school and head straight to the lower level gourmet deli in Marshall Field’s. My favorites were their giant black-and-white cookies and the store-made chicken salad. Marshall Field’s had the best chicken salad on earth! I’d buy one cookie (12¢) and a quarter-pound container of chicken salad (60¢), ask them to charge it to my father’s credit card, and then I’d run outside to catch the #8 or #10 Evanston bus and go home. There was a bus terminal with a waiting room behind the store.

The “asterisk” section (above) has to be the most ridiculous paragraph I’ve ever written. Please forgive me for torturing you with crap like this. Nobody but me cares about Marshall Field’s chicken salad!



Thank you for reading this. Another Howdygram post will begin shortly.

No comments: