Sunday, August 4, 2019

How did I lose four days!?

When I woke up this morning and checked the date on my computer I realized something was very lousy seriously crappy COMPLETELY FUCKED UP. It couldn’t be August 4. How did I lose four days!?

Let’s stroll back in time and figure this out … because I, for one, can’t remember any of it.



WEDNESDAY, JULY 31
I was working on a Howdygram post all day but never had a chance to finish it, because sometime during the night, according to Sam, I fell asleep and went into a sharp health “decline” that left me completely unresponsive. That’s another word for unconscious.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 1
When Sam found me around 4 a.m. I was running a fever, wrapped tightly in a blanket like a cocoon and making painful, rhythmic moaning sounds. He said he couldn’t wake me and called the hospice for help. The administrator, Bea, showed up immediately with the first shift of my 24-hour skilled nursing care. It was during this first nursing shift that Sam finally learned more about the emergency “comfort kit” that’s been stored in our refrigerator for the last year … liquid versions of important prescription medications that I’d never be able to swallow in pill form when I’m unconscious, i.e., Hyrdrocodone, Xanax, Morphine, Tylenol. (You get my drift.) So I’m not eating or drinking, but I’m definitely getting my drugs. GOD BLESS MY DRUGS.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 2
Dead weight, asleep, with round-the-clock nursing.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 3
Sometime Saturday morning I finally woke up, although there were several “false starts” before I actually kept my eyes open and began communicating. Sam said “welcome back” a couple of times, but I was confused about how long I’d been “gone” — four days?! — and didn’t really know what he was referring to. To celebrate the fact that I’m still alive I tell Sam I want hot and sour soup from China City, and so does my nurse Jan.

Bea stops by at 3 p.m. to give me a checkup and discovers a health condition that could have contributed to my “decline” last week … I have cellulitis in my right leg, which is warm to the touch and bright red. She’ll ask the pharmacy to send me an antibiotic (Keflex) on Sunday.

My 24-hour nursing vigil continued unabated until 8 p.m. Saturday night.



I’ve decided to publish this post right now. I just woke up (thankfully) from another all-day nap and can’t guarantee I won’t nod off again. Thank you for reading this. Another post will hopefully follow shortly.

No comments: