Monday, February 25, 2019

Every day (in the right sidebar) we’ll feature the same head in a different outrageous hat.

It’s the wee hours of Monday morning, 2:43 a.m., and all’s well at Howdygram headquarters. Sam is in the study eating a breakfast croissant and I just finished watching a truly excellent movie: Hyde Park on Hudson (2012) starring Bill Murray and Laura Linney in a sweet, historically accurate remembrance of one weekend in the life of President Franklin Roosevelt in 1939. Sam and I both loved this movie to pieces and decided to keep it stored on our DVR for the time being. (We firmly believe that all good movies deserve repeat viewings.)

Incidentally, the Howdygram is happy to announce the resurrection of an old but popular sidebar feature … the HAT OF THE DAY. Every day in the right sidebar we’ll feature the same head in a different outrageous hat, courtesy of a now-defunct boutique in south Dallas that catered to a flashy, older clientele (i.e., elderly women of color). The store closed a couple of years ago and their cheesy website shut down around the same time. But I know you’ll love these hats!



This being Monday, we’re expecting a yooge medical hoo-hah around here, which will include all of the following activities:

BATHING AND GENERAL HYGIENE. We get underway at 10:30 a.m. with my hospice C.N.A., Leticia. I always love my first bath of the week. It makes me feel decadent! (Leticia comes on Wednesdays and Fridays, too.)

A CATHETER CHANGE. Every 30 days, come hell or high water, Marcy gets a new catheter. Sam usually participates in a supporting role as Guest Gynecologist.

MY WEEKLY ROUTINE CHECKUP. Immediately following the catheter change, Martha (my hospice R.N.) and Leslie (her assistant) will check my vital signs and inspect and medicate the skin on the back of my thighs to make sure I haven’t developed any pressure sores or other repulsive maladies. Actually, the skin on my back hasn’t been too great, either, so we’re doing everything possible to prevent a recurrence of the heat rash I had a couple of weeks ago, which looked like (and felt like!) a third-degree burn. This time I’ve even got a can of over-the-counter Gold Bond Medicated Since 1906 Extra Strength Triple Action Relief Average-Smelling Body Powder (or whatever it’s called) to help the healing process. All the prescription powders we’ve tried so far haven’t done anything. Stay tuned for further developments but please feel free to resume your normal daily activities in the meantime.



I downloaded a free collection of one dozen seamless background patterns today from Creative Market’s regular Monday giveaway. To tell you the truth, I have no idea if I’ll ever use these ugly things or not, but what the hell … they’re free, and I always try to enjoy stuff I don’t have to pay for.

All 12 patterns are provided in four formats: JPG, PNG, EPS and AI. If you want any (or all) of these please shoot me an email and I’ll send you a zip file. You’re welcome!




Thought I’d let you know how HOSPICE-PALOOZA turned out this morning. Martha and Leslie did an adequate catheter change, although it had to be repeated — i.e., removed and re-inserted — due to “technical difficulties.” (There was a “kink” in the tubing.) The episode was unpleasant but not exactly painful, and it was over quickly. Thank God I didn’t have to punch anybody in the throat.

Two more things. During my routine weekly checkup with Martha I learned that: 1) my temperature was 98.8°, which is about two degrees above normal for me and representative of a low-grade fever; and 2) a new pressure sore has opened up on the back of my right thigh. (See THE WHINE LIST elsewhere in this post for additional information. Thank you.)



So the news from my hospice medical team this morning was good and bad at the same time. THE GOOD NEWS: My blood pressure continues to be perfect at 106/68. (Mazel tov to me!)

THE BAD NEWS: First … the skin on my back, and on the back of my thighs, is still shitty, and I’m even starting to sprout leaking pressure sores again. Pressure sores are the most miserable, painful affliction you could ever imagine. The last time I had a major problem was about three and a half years ago. I wound up with several pressure sores all at once, and because they were located on the back of my thighs it was nearly impossible to keep them bandaged … and I couldn’t sit without squirming and crying. I guess my only saving grace this time is the fact that I’m bedridden! I don’t sit up any more, and if my pressure sores have to be medicated and bandaged I know the bandages won’t get torn off by the fabric of a bathrobe every time I stand. (I don’t stand any more, either!)

And second … I’ve got a low-grade fever that’s making me feel blecchy. I’m sure it’s related to my perpetual urinary tract infection, which has made me feel increasingly limp, feeble and tired as the weeks drag on. Yikes!



My sleeping pill just kicked in. Finally.

Thank you for reading this, and don’t take any wooden Twinkies.

No comments: