Sunday, February 7, 2016

I must be dangerously un-American because I don’t give a crap about the Super Bowl.

It’s Sunday night and we’re not watching the Super Bowl. We don’t like the Super Bowl here at Howdygram headquarters. In fact, we’re not even too thrilled about professional football in general because brain trauma, the game takes fucking FOREVER and everybody’s named DeWayne, DeMarcus or DeHoo-Hah. I don’t even give a shit about the Super Bowl commercials or who’s rocking at half-time. I must be dangerously un-American because I don’t give a crap about ANY of this.

So what do I care about? COOL NEW WAYS TO SAVE MONEY. And Sam’s the one who just introduced me to a Wal-Mart program I knew nothing about until maybe 48 hours ago. It’s called “Savings Catcher,” and it works like this:
  1. Hang onto your paper receipts when you shop at a Wal-Mart store.
  2. Go to https://savingscatcher.walmart.com.
  3. Enter the “TC number” printed directly above the bar code on your receipt. An enlarged sample receipt appears below because I’m a cool old broad and I have a scanner.
  4. Enter the purchase date.
Wal-Mart will scan all the stores in your area for sale prices on the products you bought AND GIVE YOU THE SAVINGS ON A GIFT CARD. You can choose a Wal-Mart gift card or an Amex gift card. Apparently they mail it to you and you decide when to have them send it. In other words, you can run a balance for as long as you like.

In case you’re wondering if it’s worth the trouble, for the first three small receipts that Sam entered — which totaled $119.18 — he already has $12.32 in his Savings Catcher account. This is so fucking excellent I can hardly stand it because $12.32 is nothing at which to sneeze. Plus, if you don’t want to sit around typing TC numbers into your computer you can get the Savings Catcher app for your smartphone and just scan the bar code!

Do this, people. And tell Wal-Mart the Howdygram sent you.



Wondering what I’ve been doing all day today? Frankly, I’m wondering, too. After not going to bed at all last night I enjoyed a couple of extended naps, slept through several fine movies, designed three new greeting cards for The Howdygram Store on Zazzle, injected insulin, and ate a Sam-made cheeseburger for lunch and several Russell Stover sugar-free dark chocolate Pecan Delights (turtles). It’s been a busy, productive Sunday.

One of the aforementioned movies was Merrily We Live (1938) starring Brian Aherne, Constance Bennett and Billie Burke. This is one of the funniest depression-era screwball comedies EVER, and if you’ve never seen it you should definitely keep an eye out for the next time it’s playing on TCM.
The whole cast is amazing, especially Clarence Kolb as the family patriarch, Alan Mowbray as the butler who resigns at least once a day and Patsy Kelly as the cook.
I’ll write a longer post tomorrow, okay? I have to eat things now.

No comments: