Saturday, September 30, 2017

Thank God for our new Bissell carpet shampooer.

Happy Thursday and hi-de-ho! After a rather peculiar week I’m finally feeling upbeat enough to horse around with the Howdygram and tell y’all what’s been going on around here. I had a second appointment on Tuesday with my visiting nurse practitioner, Anthonia, and her trusty sidekick, Nora.

In case you’re interested, Nora showed up with really filthy shoes and tracked mud all over the house. I don’t know why I want to tell you about this, but Sam had to shampoo the carpet and sweep the entire foyer after she left.

But let’s move on.

On Wednesday Anthonia called to discuss my lab results, which indicated new problems with my kidneys because I don’t drink enough fluids. I also need potassium — oh boy! I can eat bananas again! — and 50,000 units of vitamin D in a gel caplet that I’ll take once a week.

The biggest lab result, however, finally explained why I’ve been suffering with a “screaming baby toe” on my left foot for the last several years. It’s GOUT! The toe is completely deformed and unbearably painful. I’ve been seen by primary care physicians and podiatrists … but nobody ever diagnosed gout until Anthonia looked at it! I started taking Allopurinol today to help relieve the pain and swelling. (Gout is usually caused by a diet that’s too rich in “purines.” In my case, though, it’s from kidney disease.)

But wait … there’s more. Antonia decided to drop the bombshell that she won’t be able to continue my extra 5 mg Norco medication any more ... and my primary care physician won’t prescribe it for me, either, unless I can haul my housebound body to downtown Dallas and attend their fucking PAIN CLINIC. Which means I’m stuck with increasing chronic pain and LESS MEDICATION to help me survive it, because there’s no way I can get downtown! I had a nervous breakdown while Anthonia was talking to me, started sobbing hysterically and threw the phone to Sam. I’m not sure what they discussed, but yesterday, miraculously, a social worker from the Baylor HouseCalls program showed up to discuss my at-home palliative care (pain management) and hospice options. This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, people. I signed a release form to have them review my medical records and get me started on palliative care right here at home. And everything is COMPLETELY FREE. The doctors, the nurses, home health assistance if I ever need more help than Sam can provide by himself, financial aid for medications and assorted whatnots, and free durable medical equipment like hospital beds and wheelchairs. Thank God for Medicare.

Please stay tuned for additional developments but feel free to eat regular meals and continue your normal routine in the meantime.



I don’t know if you’re addicted to fizzy liquids like I am, but just in case … I’ve got a recommendation for you. You have to try Clear American carbonated zero-calorie fruit beverages from Wal-Mart. They’re 68¢ for a one-litre bottle and come in dozens of outrageously fabulous fruit flavors. Sam brought home a pile of them the other day, and I’m OVER THE MOON, especially about the Green Apple flavor (carbonated apple juice!), Golden Peach and Tangerine Lime. I’m drinking Cherry Limeade as I write this post, which is very nice but not particularly intense. Intense is good!


I guess that’s it for today. Sam and I are freaked out because he just picked up my Lantus insulin refill at Wal-Mart and the co-pay was $578. For insulin! Jesus!

Thank you for reading this.

No comments: