Saturday, August 11, 2018

Sam just got home from Costco with a tub of Tide Pods and no Brownie Brittle.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 10, 2018, 8:17 A.M. Happy Friday morning from north Texas, where it’s dark, dismal, thundering and raining hard. There are, however, a couple of “positives” from all this: 1) we desperately need the moisture; and 2) the high temperature today will only be 81°, which is practically cold for the middle of August around here. We’re expecting several thunderstorms (off and on) all day today, part of the day on Saturday and Sunday, too. This report is provided free of charge by the staff meteorologists at Howdygram headquarters … which is actually just me and the weather section of Yahoo News.

FRIDAY, 8:15 P.M. Know what? I’ve had a productive day … and I’d like to share it all with you!
  • I woke up this morning feeling rested and fine.
  • My hospice C.N.A. showed up at 10 a.m. for my Friday bath and hygiene hoo-hah, which I enjoyed enormously.
  • Around 2:30 p.m. I had no trouble standing up from the chaise lounge, walking to the bench, and working at my iMac workstation for seven hours! I was unable to do this yesterday due to unexpected shitty pain in my knees and burning skin on the back of both thighs and a totally disconnected catheter.
  • I refuse to tell you that I pooped at 9:30 p.m. before I walked back to the chaise. Pooping is a taboo topic for most writers but a celebratory event for yours truly due to taking a lot of opioids (Norco and two different kinds of Morphine) that tend to make a person’s intestines exceptionally irregular.
Glancing back at the first paragraph, I guess it’s just about 12 hours later now! Sam is conked out on the sofa doing his best to recuperate from yesterday’s stint as an amateur gynecologist, and I’ve got nothing whatsoever to do for the rest of the evening. Or, actually, the rest of the weekend. Or the rest of the month. Or the rest of the whole goddamn year. I’m not complaining, however, because having nothing to do is luxurious, and I’ve waited my whole life to say that! Face it, I did NOT retire so I could fill up my days with volunteering, or neighborhood projects, or a silly part-time job that doesn’t pay anything, or remodeling, or traveling … not that I could do any of those things, anyway! No, I retired so I could: 1) stop wearing a brassiere; 2) sleep whenever I wanted to; 3) watch more movies; and 4) eat a lot of interesting canned food.



In case I haven’t reviewed this product before, please allow me to tell you about READ GERMAN POTATO SALAD ... a fine, ready-to-eat can of sliced taters in a very authentic-tasting dressing that includes bacon, vinegar, sugar and assorted flecks and spices. German Potato Salad is traditionally served warm or at room temperature, so it’s perfectly okay to just open the can, dump it into large soup mug and serve it to a hungry senior citizen with a plastic fork, which is exactly how we do it here at Howdygram headquarters.

Read German Potato Salad with bacon and flecks.

This is one of those tasty, convenient and filling “immediate meals” in a can that I try to keep in stock in our pantry. And while I’m on the subject — tasty, convenient and filling — here’s another fabulous “immediate meal” that I’d like to introduce: DEL MONTE ZUCCHINI WITH ITALIAN STYLE TOMATO SAUCE. Everything about Del Monte’s Zucchini is absolutely perfect … including the texture of the vegetables and the flavor of the sauce. My only complaint would be THERE’S NOT ENOUGH because I had to ask Sam for a second can! And the sauce is so yummy that I’ve been concocting a recipe in my head … next time I want Sam to heat up one can of Del Monte Zucchini with a can of diced potatoes. This would yield one gigantic and tasty tub of food that’s designed for a senior citizen with no lower denture who eats lying down on a chaise lounge. (This gives you a pretty clear picture of my limitations here.)

Del Monte Zucchini with Italian Style Tomato Sauce.



SATURDAY, 8/11/2018, 1:03 P.M. Sam just got home from Costco with a tub of Tide Pods and a boxload of miscellaneous nice food (chicken salad, breakfast burritos, two dozen peeled hard-boiled eggs and chicken flautas). He resisted the usual impulse items (a three-pound jug of cashews and an industrial-sized bag of Brownie Brittle) and only bought what was on the list. He’s always a lot better at that than I am!

My plans for the day include getting up from the chaise and moving to my computer workstation … probably a couple of hours from now when Sam wakes up from his nap. This is usually a major production that includes: 1) moving my catheter bag; 2) a “tush push” to help me stand up; 3) walking an uncounted yet ridiculous number of steps to the bench while Sam stands in the background cheering me on; and 4) Sam’s amazing “warm water therapy” treatment for the back of my thighs (a warm washcloth, mild abrasion and Balmex barrier cream), which has been working like a charm. Jesus, I’ve been healed!

Before I forget …

CRAPPY CATHETER INCIDENT, DETAIL #2
Due to the miserably inadequate training of a hospice R.N. named Julia who showed up to replace my catheter on Wednesday morning, poor Sam was called into action as a skilled amateur gynecologist.

It might be a good idea to publish this post already and make some notes for the next one, which I’ll launch after I get set up at my iMac workstation later this afternoon. A creative brain never sleeps! So … thank you for reading this, and I hope you’ll do your best to remember the Alamo even if it’s just totally superficial.

No comments: