Thursday, June 7, 2018

Ruby Keeler danced like a flailing Clydesdale. And she couldn’t sing, either.

Good Thursday evening, boys and girls! It’s 7:10 p.m. and pitch black outside with plenty of loud thunder due to a line of big storms rumbling south from McKinney and Plano. While I’d love to post the storm map from Weather.com I can’t access the damn thing with my MacBook laptop because the browser is too old. So no map!

Sometimes life sucks.



I’ve had a bizarre day that included: 1) waking up with a migraine at 4:30 a.m. and going back to sleep until 11:45; 2) an unexpected and unscheduled visit from my hospice R.N., Martha, who showed up at 1:00 p.m. to change the dressing on my left heel and shmear AmLactin lotion on my shins and the tops of my feet; 3) enjoyed teeny tacos for lunch from Costco; and 4) slept until 6:15 p.m. with another headache.

I have no idea what’s causing all these miserable headaches. Maybe the weather? I know it’s NOT my extended release Morphine, because I LOVE MY MORPHINE!

It’s 7:45 p.m. and Sam is sitting in the garage watching the rain and lightning. As soon as he comes back inside I’ll probably pester him for some food and a couple of Outshine frozen mock-popsicle thingies from Nestlé.

These frozen fruit thingies are very tasty … especially the Watermelon Harvest flavor.



There’s nothing quite like a Bad Lip Reading video … especially if the target is Donald Trump! Here he is in all his orange glory, fucking up the National Anthem that he pretends is so dear to his twisted black heart. Enjoy ...


Incidentally, I would like to take a moment to comment on the Trump Administration’s latest decision to destroy the ACA by 2019, throwing 133 million Americans off their health care coverage and blowing up the mandate for pre-existing conditions and lower premiums for older Americans. THIS IS SCARY SHIT … and we need to find a way to stop it. Make sure Democrats take over the House and Senate this year, people. VOTE BLUE!



The time is now 11:40 p.m., Sam is conked out on the sofa, and I’m watching Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) starring Joan Blondell, Warren William, Aline MacMahon, Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler. This isn’t my favorite Busy Berkeley musical, however. I prefer 42nd Street (1933) starring Warner Baxter, Bebe Daniels, George Brent … plus Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler and a lot of other cast members that overlap with the Gold Diggers.

Aline MacMahon, Joan Blondell, Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler in “Gold Diggers of 1933.”

A side comment here concerning Ruby Keeler. Oh my God, she was ATROCIOUS! She danced like a flailing Clydesdale and her voice was deep, unfeminine, flat and off-key. Couldn’t Warner Bros. do better than that? I know I’ve said this a million times already, but I can’t imagine why anybody ever thought Ruby Keeler had any musical talent ... especially not after you see the likes of Eleanor Powell, Ann Miller, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers at MGM and RKO.

Okay, enough …



Time for bed. It’s almost midnight, I have to take a lot of medications and inject some insulin, and I want to answer a couple of emails before my MacBook runs out of “gas.”

Thank you for reading this and please don’t forget to remember the Alamo ... if you can help it.

No comments: