Tuesday, May 29, 2018

A pair of brainstorms!

Good afternoon, everybody! At present Sam and I are waiting for my hospice R.N. (Bea) to get here. She just sent me a text message to let me know she’s en route. She’s coming to give me a wound care treatment for the ulcer on my left heel while I gnaw on the last piece of a chicken lunch meat sandwich ... on white bread with mayo. I also want to ask her what’s happening now with my meds and prescription refills ... do I call Baylor HouseCalls for refills or will Accord Hospice take over? I found out this morning from my hospice social worker (Teresa) that Accord will do EVERYTHING for me, including prescription refills, which become 100% FREE when I’m covered by hospice. Their services are mind-blowing.

But wait … there’s more!

Accord also offers a “respite” for full-time caregivers like Sam. Once a year they’ll set me up with five days of deluxe room and board at an elegant nursing facility in the Lake Highlands neighborhood of Dallas — which includes transportation to and from home — AT NO COST WHATSOEVER while Sam takes his annual trip to California in September to see his relatives. No kidding … he can go away for FIVE WHOLE DAYS and not worry about me any more! It’s almost too good to be true, and I told him I’d be totally willing to live in a nursing facility for a few days so he can enjoy his trip.



In the meantime, here’s what’s happening at Howdygram headquarters.

MY CARPET BRAINSTORM. I’m waiting for a carpet runner to be delivered from Wal-Mart. It’s a 10' x 3' runner with a latex backing that will connect the back hall and the family room so I can use my walker to get to the study. Right now I’d have to cross a hard stone floor, and it’s not possible to use my walker on stone floor because there’s ZEEO TRACTION … and I don’t have enough balance these days to walk with just my cane. So the carpet runner was a brainstorm when I was in the hospital a few days ago. Aren’t brainstorms fabulous?!

MY BEVERAGE BRAINSTORM. We drink gallons of Wal-Mart’s Clear American sugar-free beverages here. They’re carbonated, come in to-die-for fresh fruit flavors, and we always have at least three dozen one-litre bottles in stock here. Well, yesterday I discovered another Wal-Mart beverage … it’s called Sparkling Ice with an additional array of amazing fruit flavors, including Black Raspberry, Blueberry Pomegranate and Crisp Apple. I ordered a 12-pack of all three in 17 oz. bottles. Woo-hoo! There are at least another five flavors I’d like to try when our current stash is depleted. These would be Pink Grapefruit, Nectarine Peach, Strawberry Watermelon, Lemonade and Orange Mango!
Wal-Mart’s Sparkling Ice beverages. They’re not “clear,” but they’re definitely FABULOUS.



I have so much more to tell you … but I’ll have to keep it all on hold until tomorrow because it’s after 11 p.m. and I’m running out of steam here. I still have to take my bedtime meds, inject insulin, pester Sam for a few snacks and write a couple of emails before I conk out! Thank you for reading this, thank you for your interest, and thank you for your support. Shalom!

No comments: