Tuesday, April 24, 2018

I’m sure you’ll agree that 1954 was a major hoo-hah for William Holden’s career.

TUESDAY, 8:40 A.M. Happy Tuesday morning! It’s almost 8:45 a.m., the sun is going KABLOOEY all over the back yard (my view from the family room), and I’m waiting for my Baylor HouseCalls primary care physician to come over. This is a very big hoo-hah for me, and it’s also the first time I’m meeting Dr. Thompson! Plus ... this afternoon I’ll have another session with my physical therapist.

It’s a JAM-PACKED DAY at Howdygram headquarters! Woo-hoo!

A SPEEDY UPDATE. Dr. Thompson arrived at 11 a.m. with a pleasant nursing assistant in tow. They did a few basic and routine quarterly checkup thingies … blood pressure (normal), temperature (normal), heart rate and oxygen saturation (normal), an INR fingerstick blood test (also normal) and so on, and then Sam and I had a chance to ask a bunch of questions about a few of my health concerns, particularly why I run such high fevers and wind up with sepsis, which is a very serious bacterial infection of the bloodstream. It’s happened to me three times in the last year … THREE TIMES! Regrettably, though, I had to cancel my physical therapy session this afternoon due to: 1) massive and uncontrollable pishing every 45 minutes between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.; 2) chills; and 3) unbelievable exhaustion that kept me wrapped in two blankets almost all day long.

TUESDAY, 9:22 P.M. Following a lovely dinner from China City — Steamed Dumplings, Tofu Tempura and Scallop Egg Foo Young — Sam and I are watching Alvarez Kelly (1966) starring William Holden and Richard Widmark. In case you didn’t know ... it’s William Holden Month on Turner Classic Movies, and every Monday in April we’re being treated to a pile of Holden’s best … and there are BILLIONS of them, such as Our Town (1940), Rachel and the Stranger (1948), Born Yesterday and Sunset Blvd. (1950), Stalag 17 (1953), The Country Girl, Sabrina, Executive Suite and The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954), Picnic (1956), The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957), and The World of Suzie Wong (1960). I’m sure you’ll agree that 1954 was a major hoo-hah for William Holden’s career. FOUR GIGANTIC BLOCKBUSTERS IN ONE YEAR!

William Holden and Richard Widmark in “Alvarez Kelly.”



News flash … the power in my MacBook laptop has officially dwindled to 48%. This is no huge deal, really … I’m sure I still have at least 90 minutes of solid typing time left. At the moment I’m stretched out on the chaise in the family room with the MacBook propped up on my stomach with a throw pillow. This is actually very comfortable, although I’d rather sit on the sofa with the MacBook in front of me on the coffee table. But we can’t have everything, can we?

If you haven’t remembered the Alamo today please do your best to give it a shot. And thank you for reading this, okay?

No comments: