Sunday, April 15, 2018

If you take too much Norco you could have hallucinations. (They’re fabulous.)

Ah, Sunday morning … sunny, lazy and DECADENT. I woke up at 7:30 and asked Sam for steak fries and ketchup for breakfast while I watched The Women (1939) starring Norma Shearer, Rosalind Russell and Joan Crawford. Good Lord, it just doesn’t get much better than that! And after The Women I watched Santa Fe Trail (1940) starring Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland … the story of John Brown’s bloody confrontation with Union troops in 1859 at Harper’s Ferry, Virginia. (You know ... a real knee-slappin’ comedy.)

Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer and Rosalind Russell in “The Women.”
Henry O’Neill, Olivia de Havilland and Erroll Flynn in “Santa Fe Trail.” (Great hats!)

At the same time I was also experiencing hallucinations from a large dose of Norco I took with breakfast ... and two hours later I was still imagining things and typing gibberish. My food orgy continued, too … before I even finished my steak fries I asked Sam for a jar of Jif creamy peanut butter and a plastic spoon. Life is swell!



Tomorrow (Monday) I’m supposed to hear from a physical therapist referred by Physicians’ Choice Homecare. We’ll set up six weeks of therapy, two visits per week, and see how it goes. I need to start walking around in my own house again … at least as far as the family room to the study so I can get back to my desk, my iMac computer and my fancy Adobe design software. I feel so lost! Please stay tuned for additional developments.



One last movie-related thing, okay? It’s a few minutes after 9 p.m. and Sam and I are watching the original Hell’s Angels (1930) starring Jean Harlow and Ben Lyon. You know, Howard Hughes’ World War I masterpiece. This is the first time I’m watching it all the way through, and it’s GOOD! There’s a real story going on here, with good characters, and Jean Harlow is GORGEOUS … long before Hollywood started shaving off her eyebrows and painting her beyond all recognition. The photography is excellent, the night-time shots all have a dark blue tint, and there’s even some Technicolor going on during Lady Randolph’s charity ball.

So here’s the scoop. The story revolves around three pals at Oxford shortly before the start of World War I … brothers Roy and Monte Rutledge (played by James Hall and Ben Lyon, respectively), and Karl Armstedt (John Darrow), an exchange student from Germany. When war is declared they all enlist in their own countries as pilots. Enter Jean Harlow as Helen, Roy’s long-time sweetheart, who turns out to be a tramp in stunning slinky pre-Code outfits with lots of side-boob. Helen throws herself at Monte and then climbs all over every man she meets … and there are LOTS of them because she signed up to run Lady Randolph’s charity canteen in France.

Ben Lyon and Jean Harlow in “Hell’s Angels.”
Mostly, though, Hell’s Angels is known for its spectacular and realistic aerial photography during the dog fights and divebombing scenes … with frightening sound effects when pilots get a bunch of bullet holes in the neck and an incredible exploding zeppelin hoo-hah over London.

Something blows up huge during a divebombing scene in “Hell’s Angels.”
The Howdygram is pleased to award Hell’s Angels with its coveted five-star ★★★★★ rating. Sam and I think it’s really a pip and you will, too. Thank you for reading this and please try to remember the Alamo tomorrow. Any time before lunch would be fine.

No comments: