Tuesday, July 22, 2014

TCM’s all-day tribute to James Garner is Monday, July 28.

Hi. It’s almost 3 a.m. and I haven’t been to bed yet. I don’t know why, really, because I’m feeling pretty good, my knees don’t hurt, my feet aren’t spazzy due to diabetic neuropathy and Howdygram headquarters is cool, quiet and very conducive to sleep. Except, as usual, I’M WIDE AWAKE. So I’ll just hang out here with you for a while. This is your lucky day, people, even though technically it’s still the middle of the night.

Before I forget, please mark your calendar for TCM’s 24-hour tribute to the late James Garner on Monday, July 28. Here’s the list of their featured movies in case you want to record a few. Times shown are Central. Thank you. Teeny red stars indicate my personal favorites.
  • Toward the Unknown (1956) with William Holden; 5 a.m.
  • Shoot-Out at Medicine Bend (1957) with Randolph Scott; 7 a.m.
  • Grand Prix (1966) with Eva Marie Saint; 8:30 a.m.
  • Cash McCall (1960) with Natalie Wood; 11:30 a.m.
  • The Wheeler Dealers (1963) with Lee Remick; 1:15 p.m.
  • Darby’s Rangers (1958) with Edd Byrnes and Jack Warden; 3 p.m.
  • Mister Buddwing (1966) with Suzanne Pleshette and Jean Simmons; 5:15 p.m.
  • The Thrill of it All (1963) with Doris Day; 7 p.m.
  • The Americanization of Emily (1964) with Julie Andrews; 9 p.m.
  • The Children’s Hour (1961) with Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine; 11 p.m.
  • Victor/Victoria (1982) with Julie Andrews and Robert Preston; 1 a.m.
  • Marlowe (1969) with Carroll O’Connor; 3:30 a.m.
In case you’ve never seen The Children’s Hour, it’s a powerful drama from 1934 by playwright Lillian Hellman about two teachers (Hepburn and MacLaine) who run a private school that’s wrecked by an evil student’s whispering campaign. While the movie version tends to gloss over the real central story (MacLaine’s character is a closeted lesbian) you can figure out where it’s going and the performances are terrific. This one is definitely worth watching. I also love The Thrill of It All and Victor/Victoria.

I guess I’ll try going to bed now, although it sure would be nice if Sam wasn’t talking in his sleep. I always try to answer him.

No comments: